Friday, April 11, 2008

More notes: Ryan Church, Claudio Vargas

Something really annoyed me during this past series, and it wasn't just the Phillies. It was Ryan Church coming up to bat with Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train" playing over the loudspeakers. And it wasn't just a one time thing, it was most of his at bats, and I think it's safe to assume that it will be most of his at bats in the future.

"Crazy Train" is a great song, I won't deny that. But when I'm watching a Mets game, that is the absolute last thing I want to hear. If you're not aware, a certain third baseman in Atlanta named Larry also uses that as his walk-up music. For me, the association between that song and Mets games is a strong evil and hatred. I cringe every time I watch a Mets vs. Braves game in Atlanta, and I hear that music come on in the background, because it means that I'm about to see the person who I might just hate the most in this world. And usually, when that music comes on, he gives me even more reason to hate him, as he always seems to kill the Mets.

And now, I'm going to be forced to hear that music many more times this season. And at my beloved Shea Stadium, too. I don't cringe quite so much, knowing that it's Ryan Church coming up, and not Larry Jones. I'll get used to it soon.

But that song really should be banned at Shea. It represents pure evil for Mets fans. The guy even named his kid "Shea" because of how much he kills the Mets. Though I'm not sure, I assume Church used that song when he was in Washington, so I can't blame him for wanting to stick with it, or the organization for wanting to let him be happy and comfortable coming to the plate. That pretty much leaves no one to blame. But for the time being, it drives me crazy, and I had to vent.

I did hear it played on the organs the one game, and that was awesome.

In other news, the Mets signed pitcher Claudio Vargas to a Minor League contract. I don't have much of an opinion on this deal. I don't trust Claudio Vargas to be much help to the Mets, but it seems that he won't be plugged right into the rotation to fill the hole left by Pedro and El Duque. Instead, he will start at the minors, likely as a backup plan in case Nelson Figueroa doesn't work out as the replacement 5th starter. He could even help out in the bullpen if need be. I have no problems with this deal, and if he ends up not helping, that it's not hurting us much.

Figueroa will pitch today at home against the Brewers to start the series. Johan Santana will face the Brewers' ace, Ben Sheets, tomorrow, with Oliver Perez wrapping up the series on Sunday.

No comments: