Thursday, November 15, 2007

Castro/Torrealba

What a roller coaster ride. And I hate roller coasters. First Lo Duca is "as good as gone." Then Omar was "optimistic" about re-signing him. With Posada signing with the Yankees, I thought the door opened even more. Now it looks like the Mets are close to deals that would mean the end for Lo Duca in New York.

Ramon Castro is currently very close to re-signing for two years, if the deal isn't already complete. Talks are also heating up between the Mets and free agent catcher Yorvit Torrealba. While that's not nearly as definite as Castro coming back, I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen.

Obviously I would have preferred Lo Duca to stay, but I had come to accept the fact that he was likely to be going, so I'm prepared for that. I always saw the 2nd best solution was to re-sign Castro, and sign another average catcher to split time. I'm not sure how much production to expect from Torrealba, but it seems that's what would happen here.

I'm looking forward to yelling "YORVIT!" whenever Torrealba does something good though.

EDIT: Looks like Torrealba is about as close to a done deal as Castro. Bye Paulie.

No comments: